January Book Spotlight:You’re On Fire, It’s Fine by Katie May



Recommended by Maria, TRG Clinician

I’m excited to kick off TRG’s new Book Spotlight series with a book I frequently recommend to parents and fellow clinicians alike: You’re On Fire, It’s Fine by Katie May.

I especially love this book for parents of teens. It’s practical, relatable, and does a beautiful job of connecting psychology to everyday life in ways that actually feel doable.

One of the most important reminders in this book, and something I talk about often with parents, is that caregivers go first. Teens are watching, listening, and absorbing far more than we sometimes realize, often long before we ever say a word. I often share with parents that we are the book our children read.

When conflict arises (because it will, especially during adolescence), it’s helpful to remember that teens’ brains are still developing. Our role as caregivers is to go first:

  • in regulation

  • in communication

  • in modeling healthy responses

Our words matter, but our nonverbal communication and unspoken expectations often speak even louder.

For Parents Navigating the Teen Years

Parenting is one of the hardest jobs many of us will ever do. I often joke that the only job tougher might be blending a family! While no single book can offer a perfect blueprint, every family is unique; this one comes impressively close to a guide for surviving and understanding the teen years.

I especially recommend this book for parents raising teens with big emotions or self-destructive behaviors. There may be pieces that work beautifully in your home and others that don’t, and that’s okay. Overall, this book is absolutely worth reading.

Stay Tuned…

I’m already imagining future discussion circles around this one.
Until then happy reading and happy parenting ❤️

Comments

  1. I agree. As tough as it may be for some to hear, the caregiver must go first! Great article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment